"DP" and Me

DP and I became a "grandfamily" about three years ago. We are learning all about readjustment: me as a parent--again, him as part of a "new" family. Each day we find our little blessing in the storm.









Tuesday, September 6, 2011

DP the sixth grader

He's off to school this morning and is absolutely beaming to be a sixth grader now. Most of yesterday afternoon was spent finding, washing, and ironing clothes and getting everything ready for the big day. We decided that this year he would carry a messenger bag instead of the usual backpack. Trying something a little different.

When I peeked into his room this morning at 7:30, he was wide awake, just lying there waiting for me to kick off the occasion with the usual wake up call. I've been awake a long time, Nana. Just waiting for you. Three or four times after he showered, dressed, and had breakfast he asked if it was time to leave yet. (He definitely needs another watch.) I took a picture of him and sent it to his mom so she could be a part of the special day.

The bus stops right outside the house, so I had a cup of coffee and watched through the kitchen window until he rode away. Before leaving the house he hugged and kissed me and reminded me that when he came to live here, he was in the second grade. The image of him standing in the doorway with his social worker and bag of belongings will always be a part of me. He hugged me then, too. We were embarking on an adventure.

"We did it, Nana!" Yep, kiddo, we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment