"DP" and Me

DP and I became a "grandfamily" about three years ago. We are learning all about readjustment: me as a parent--again, him as part of a "new" family. Each day we find our little blessing in the storm.









Friday, September 2, 2011

Supporting our grand-family

DP and I attended our first Grandparent/grandchild support group yesterday evening. We had dinner then split up into adult and child groups.

Sitting in a room with other grandparents who were sharing their lives with their grandkids was uplifting. Hearing their stories about how they were and continue to be making a new life for all concerned was inspirational. It helped me to know just how far DP and I have come as a unit. When you are in the middle of it, just focused on putting one foot ahead of the other 24/7 you don't often take time to stop and look around or look back to see how far you've come. Last night helped me to do that. I could see the strides Virginia has made as DP's mother and how we are supporting each other's efforts to raise DP.

It was painful listening to the challenges other grandfamilies are working through, then remembering the changes my little unit had to go through in order to get to where we are now. God has been with us through it all; I can see that now more than ever before.

This was a good day.
We went to the State Fair today with Virginia and Diana. Because of my bad ankle, Virginia rented a scooter for me. It was so sweet how DP insisted on walking next to me most of the time and even held my hand as we moved through the crowd. (Diana snapped a picture.)

The child stuffed back so much State Fair "fare" that by the end of the day (about 5 hours) he was ready to collapse. He even looked a little green around the gills. I was concerned he would get sick, but he made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment