"DP" and Me

DP and I became a "grandfamily" about three years ago. We are learning all about readjustment: me as a parent--again, him as part of a "new" family. Each day we find our little blessing in the storm.









Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Receiving and giving support

DP has just one more session with his therapist. Next month he graduates. He has come a long way--emotionally and physically. We worked through quite a few emotional issues and are continuing our growth, mostly just learning how to adjust to each other.

From last year to this year, DP went from 4'6" to 5'2". I'm 5'4" that kinda tells me something! Over the next few months, any disciplinary "discussions" will have to be done with him sitting down, so I'll be the taller person. This makes it an even bigger challenge accepting the fact that what worked once, does not work now for this generation.

On October 1, I will be on a panel on relative care givers. (That ought to be interesting.) The panel is the result of a discussion I had with the Spokesman-Recorder before  writing the column about "grandfamilies." I hope that whatever my small contributions might be, they will help or support other relative caregivers. There are a lot of us out there; we definitely need each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment