"DP" and Me

DP and I became a "grandfamily" about three years ago. We are learning all about readjustment: me as a parent--again, him as part of a "new" family. Each day we find our little blessing in the storm.









Friday, August 26, 2011

He's back

DP is back home and talked non-stop for almost 2 hours about camp adventures. He was so excited to come home that in his haste to get dressed, the child put his t-shirt on backwards and wore pajama bottoms! I jumped out of the car and we hugged and kissed like we hadn't seen each other in years! When he opened his mouth to speak a deeper voice came out. I was so caught off guard I thought he had a cold. Nope, Nana, it's just me.

We really must thank his wonderful therapist and her organization for helping us secure a scholarship for him to have such a rich and rewarding camp experience. This was one of the few times DP had a chance to interact with boys his own age while learning about outdoor experience. The best part about the entire experience was getting to know boys with similar backgrounds, living with their grandparents, boys of different races and cultures, and helping DP to see that he was not alone or the "only one."  Sometimes I would feel so isolated. Hearing him say how much he appreciated the camping experience was the biggest reward of all. There were loads of pictures. He is still singing camp songs and will probably be singing them in his sleep.

There is a grandparents raising grandkids support group near by, I think it's time the two of us started reaching out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment